Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:06:19 -0500
From:      TrouBle <trouble@netquick.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>, David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure filesystem wiping

will you all take a look at this, this is what i am looking for!!

Wipe is a tool that effectively degauses the surface of a hard
disk, making it virtually impossible to retrieve the data that was
stored on it. This is the ultimate in making sure secure data that is
erased from a hard drive is unrecoverable.

wipe by Tom Vier <thomassr@erols.com>
Wipe is a secure file wiping utility. However, it does not set the
media access bit on scsi commands, therefore it is not 100% secure,
unless your drive has no write cache. For maximum security, disable
drive write cache on scsi mode page 8. If possible, disable operating
system file cache and driver-level buffers. Wipe tries to sync the
data to disk via a call to fdatasync(), fsync(), or using
O_SYNC. Under linux, the mount option "mand" must be used (see
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/mandatory.txt) for mandatory file locks
to be enabled. Wipe should make it extremely difficult for all but the
most determined person(s) to recover the original plaintext
data. Utilities such as PGP and the GNU Privacy Guard provide strong
encryption, but encryption is useless if the original plaintext can be
recovered.
Wipe uses /dev/urandom, or if unavailable, /dev/random, as a source
for entropy. The tiger hash is used for speed. More information on the
tiger hash algorithm is at:
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~biham/Reports/Tiger/

> Or ftp://ftp.xmission.com/pub/users/s/softweyr/pub/obliterate-0.3.tgz
> if you prefer.  I swear I'm going to wrap a port-kit around this and
> commit it one of these days.  Honest!
>
> Actually, this afternoon is looking good for that.
>
> Comments, jeers, applause, and especially money to wes@softweyr.com.  ;^)

Windows 95 (win-DOH-z), n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical
shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system
originally coded for a four bit microprocessor which was used in a PC
built by a formerly two bit company that couldn't stand one bit of
competition.