Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 00:46:15 -0400
From:      "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy?  I think not.

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2001, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:
>
> > Had gcc been under a BSD license, it would have been just as deadly.
> > Sure, a company could have made proprietary changes to it, and tried to
> > sell it, but who would buy it?  Or, to put it another way, how much
> > could they have charged for it and still sell some?  The fate of BSDi
> > shows how difficult it is to sell proprietary versions of BSD-licensed
> > software (at least on commodity hardware).
>
> One example is not enough. (Anyways I don't see the fate of BSD/OS.)

Presumably it (BSD/OS) would not have been sold if it had been more than
marginally profitable.  (Of course, this is just a presumption; I have
no inside information.)

> Now look at all the proprietary routers, firewalls, UNIX operating systems
> and various other software that are based on BSD licensed code and are
> succesfully sold.

It is one thing to incorporate BSD-licensed code in a larger product,
and quite another to try to sell a proprietary version of a free
product.  Also note that I referred to commodity hardware; selling
BSD-licensed code in conjuction with proprietary hardware would be much
easier.