Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:52:53 -0800
From:      Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
To:        "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>
Cc:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

On March 05, 2002 at 08:37, Steve B. wrote:
> I take a simplistic view after years of C++.
>
> C++ is good for large projects that need to be maintained into the future.
> Then the advantages of OO starts to kick in. For small projects that won't
> change much then C is the better choice IMO.

My 2 cents,

Design first.

In my experience the language used is largely irrelevant until the skill
set of the people implementing the project are taken into account.  With
a good design you can match the requirements of the project to the skills
of the people.  The language and approach (OO, procedural, data driven,
etc.) will usually be obvious at that point.  Naturally, political
issues will come into play, too.

Just remember the old saw: you can write bad fortran in any language.
It is up to the implementer to structure the software for maintainability,
regardless of the language used.

Byron