Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:21:06 -0800
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Steve Wingate <stevew@velosystems.net>
Cc:        simon roy <simon.roy@web.de>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia in ports-collection?

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 11:14:52AM -0800, Steve Wingate wrote:
> I doubt it, since it's a native driver there's nothing to port for
> starters.

"Ports" is a misleading name.  There is lots of software in ports
that doesn't really need to be there, but is because it's easier
to install/maintain that way (and you can make packages).

> Second there's no history of drivers going in the ports tree.

Yes there is.  See audio/aureal-kmod and graphics/drm-kmod.

> Third, I doubt Nvidia would want people bypassing their website to get
> the driver.

Perhaps.  That's for those involved to find out.

regards
--
wca