Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:44:59 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        vova@fbsd.ru
Subject:   Re: gnome-terminal real slow

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:05:06 -0700, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> wrote:

>> From: Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
>> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:52:19 +0400
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>>
>> =F7 =D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=C9 =D3=D2, 2004-04-28 11:16 +0000, Jens
>> Rehsac=
>> k =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
>>
>> > maybe one of you can gave me a hint why my gnome-terminal is reacting
>> > real (and I mean waiting for a keystroke around 20 seconds) slow after
>> > I updated to Gnome 2.6.
>>
>> Me too !
>>
>> Gnome-terminal slow for me too. Especially on cut&paste mouse selection.
>>
>> I have vte compiled without GL support.
>
> I second the motion. It seems that with every update to vte,
> gnome-terminal just gets slower. I do a select operation and watch the
> CPU peg for several seconds. I have seen it take over 10 seconds of 95%
> CPU on a 1 GHz P3 to do the select. (Paste has never shown any problem.)
>
> My main question is whether this is FreeBSD specific or if it happens on
> Linux boxes, as well.

It is slow on Linux too, there are plenty of Linux users that are
complaining about it too. ;-) Althought, it was a lot better than what it
was in GNOME 2.0 - 2.2.

Anyway, perhaps one of you can try to edit
x11-toolkits/vte/files/patch-src_vte.c from 15 to 5 or 2 to see if it
helps a little. If not, then remove all the '@@ -101,7 +101,7 @@' entry
and keep the '@@ -11318,7 +11318,6 @@' entry. This '@@ -101,7 +101,7 @@'
entry was added in GNOME 2.6 to improvement on the speed, but it wasn't on
me at the first place until I requested for change 50 to 15.

If none of that help, then bug to the VTE/GNOME developers harder.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org