Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 2009 21:43:15 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slices, partitions, fdisk and bsdlabel on ia64

On Jul 1, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking this is a "dangerously dedicated" (no
> slices) disk,
> and partitions are numbered p<number>?

You're not correct. Itanium uses GPT and not MBR for partitions.

> Does this mean the handbook section 3.5, Disk Organisation,
> is incorrect for ia64?

Yes, it's incorrect. There's a high bias towards PC in
the handbook. Not surprising, but it means that you
should not take it literally.

> There's no fdisk on ia64, is there?

gpart is used for all partition, including MBR.

> I can't find bsdlabel either, on alpha it's under /sbin, but
> on ia64 it's nowhere to be found.

gpart is used for BSD disklabels as well.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com