Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:19:34 +0400
From:      "Oleg Strizhak" <oleg@inforser.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-security" <FreeBSD-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tried to be cracked

Hi all!

Today seeng this in messages:
Jun 17 03:30:01 servak su: _secure_path: /xxx/.login_conf is not owned =
by uid 65534
Jun 17 03:30:01 servak su: _secure_path: /xxx/.login_conf is not owned =
by uid 65534

checked all the logs -- there was no login via telnet, ssh. Nothing of =
activity was detected for that period of time on my http or ftp daemons. =
So I suppose that it was through one of the predifined inetd services.=20

Here is my inetd.conf's enabled nodes:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/proftpd proftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/telnetd telnetd
shell stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/rshd rshd
login stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/rlogind rlogind
finger stream tcp nowait/3/10 nobody /usr/libexec/fingerd fingerd -s
comsat dgram udp wait tty:tty /usr/libexec/comsat comsat
ntalk dgram udp wait tty:tty /usr/libexec/ntalkd ntalkd

#
# IPv6 services
#
ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/local/sbin/proftpd proftpd
telnet stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/libexec/telnetd telnetd
shell stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/libexec/rshd rshd
login stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/libexec/rlogind rlogind
finger stream tcp6 nowait/3/10 nobody /usr/libexec/fingerd fingerd -s

Question is: which of these daemons can be disabled (or even inetd =
itself) w/o any harm. I've no use of NFS -- plain http/ftp/pop server. =
SMTP and POP stuff is already handled by tcpserv.

I've already set up hosts.allow: denied any w/o reverse DNS, allowed any =
ftp, portmap, and ssh; denied all other daemons/users except trusted =
address.
Where can I find out additional info about hosts.allow syntax?

Thanx in advance.