Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:31:26 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Ryan <adam@powersurge.net>
Cc:        Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell laptop, external CRT

On Sunday, 28 July 2002 at 20:57:23 -0500, Adam Ryan wrote:
> On  Sunday, July 28, 2002 8:53 PM, Jim Durham wrote:
>> On Sunday 28 July 2002 09:06 pm, Adam Ryan wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am running the latest FreeBSD 4.6 stable.  It seems that when I
>>> have my laptop hooked up to an external monitor, it only will run
>>> in console mode.  When I try to start X, there is just solid blur
>>> on the screen.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I can get X to run externally ( to a CRT )
>>> from my laptop?
>>>

>> Which Dell Laptop? They have vastly different video hardware
>> depending on the model. Also, did X run on an earlier FreeBSD
>> version and this happened only after you upgraded the OS, or is
>> this the first time you've run X at all on the laptop?
>>
>> I'm running 4.5-RELEASE with XFree86 4.03 on a Inspiron 4000. This
>> is the rage Mobility 3 and I use the r128 driver. It works fine on
>> both the internal and external screens. The only problem I have is
>> that I haven't yet figured out how to make it auto-detect the
>> correct resolution. I have to manually change from the 1024x768
>> internal res to the 1280x1028 external monitor's resolution. There
>> are various options for configging the r128 driver to handle
>> external monitors in the XF86Config-4 file. They are outlined in
>> the man page.
>
> I have the dell CPi 266 model, I have only really tried hooking an
> external monitor with 4.5 and 4.6.
>
> Everything is fine in console mode, but when I issue the startx command
> it just goes to a blur.  Maybe upgrading X might solve the problem?

This is a basic X setup problem.  Your /etc/XF86Config contains
incorrect information about the monitor.  Check the following
information, taken from a functional CPi 266:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Primary Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync       31.5-57.0
   VertRefresh     50-90
   Modeline  "1024x768"   75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Primary Card"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   BoardName       "NeoMagic (laptop/notebook)"
#    Chipset    "NM2160"
#    IOBase     0xfea00000
#    MemBase    0xfd000000
#    VideoRam   2048
#    DacSpeed   90
#    Option     "linear"
#    Option     "nolinear"
#    Option     "sw_cursor"
#    Option     "hw_cursor"
#    Option     "no_accel"
#    Option     "intern_disp"
#    Option     "extern_disp"
#    Option     "mmio"
#    Option     "no_mmio"
#    Option     "lcd_center"
#    Option     "no_stretch"
EndSection

Check particularly that these lines are correct for your monitor:

   HorizSync       31.5-57.0
   VertRefresh     50-90

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.