Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:39:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   consoles...

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
console none                            unknown off secure

I sure wish I knew what happened here, but at some point past 4.2,
/dev/console got broken for Alpha 8200s.

ray.nas.nasa.gov has:

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure

and a a perfectly happy console prompt off of zs0.

jules.nas.nasa.gov has *no* console prompt, no matter what one does in
/etc/ttys.

What really pisses me off about this is that I worked goddamned hard to fix
this back in 4.1.

Does anyone have a notion as to what complete dufus managed to break this for
4.3?