Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 01:43:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-CHAT-L <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Another pointless contest... gigantic passwd files?

    I don't have any FreeBSD servers that have 400-day uptimes
(although our Majordomo server is at 102 days now), but I figure one
of our servers may have the largest passwd file around.  :)

# cd /etc
# ls -ls *passwd *pwd.db
 7632 -rw-------  1 root  wheel   7806209 Aug 27 18:16 master.passwd
 5936 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   6063368 Aug 27 19:02 passwd
38936 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  41750528 Aug 27 18:58 pwd.db
43752 -rw-------  1 root  wheel  73437184 Aug 27 19:02 spwd.db

# wc -l passwd
  102531 passwd

    Generating the db files with a pwd_mkdb modifed with cachesize set
to 64MB cache took about 45 minutes on a P133 while handling mail and
primary DNS (named was occupying about 30MB itself).  It was swapping
rather heavily, and I think I can get the time to under half an hour
on an unloaded system with 128MB of RAM.

    Now to figure out what we're going to do with NFS's 16-bit uid's
and the best way to handle mail for 100,000 users...

(replies set to freebsd-chat)

--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.