Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:56:05 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1045263365.763b6f@mired.org>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatically include debug symbols?

In <200302092116.33639.dgw@liwest.at>, Daniela <dgw@liwest.at> typed:
> On Sunday 09 February 2003 19:15, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > You can get everything to build with debug symbols by adding
> > "CFLAGS=-g" to /etc/make.conf. However, the system will strip the
> > binaries when it installs them. You could probably get the
> > non-stripped version installed if you really wanted to, but I'd
> > recommend not doing that, and just using the version in /usr/obj,
> > which shouldn't be stripped, for debugging.
> Why shouldn't I do this? Is it just because debug binaries are bigger or run
> slower? If so, that's not a problem for me, I have a fast processor and a lot
> of memory.

Because there's no switch to cause the install process not to strip
the binaries. If you want to go through the Makefile's and see if you
can make it not strip, that's fine. Finding binaries in /usr/obj is
easy.

> > Segmentation faults are pretty rare on all my systems, unless it's
> > code that is under active development. Are you sure it's not flaky
> > hardware? Note that not having problems under another OS is *not* a
> > sign that the hardware isn't flaky.
> I have always suspected the hardware because on my old computer, everything
> worked. But how do I see what the problem really is?

Segmentation violations are usually flaky memory. The sysutils/memtest
port is a good place to start.

	<mike