Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:22:05 +1000
From:      Dima Panov <fluffy@fluffy.khv.ru>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster-with-package-support release candidate available for testing

--nextPart4212631.zKEs8UDsDl

On Sunday 06 December 2009 06:40:22 Doug Barton wrote:
> Dima Panov wrote:
> > Doug, haw about missed feature (portupgrade had this earlier)?
> > If -r (recursive) flag present, after upgrade package repack all depend=
ed
> > on him.
>=20
> I thought more about this and realized that I'm not 100% sure what
> you're asking for. :)
>=20
> If you use -g along with -r now, all of the ports that get
> rebuilt/reinstalled will have new packages generated that contain
> their updated dependencies. So that case is handled already.
>=20
> OTOH, is what you're asking for is essentially for -r to be recursive?
> Which is to say that if you do 'portmaster -g -r fooport' and barport
> depends on fooport, you want to repackage everything that depends on
> barport as well? That would make sense if barport is upgraded to a new
> version as a side effect of 'portmaster -g -r fooport', otherwise I
> don't see the value in repackaging things that depend on barport
> because (AFAICS) the packages will not change.

Packages changed. Exactly, changed list of @pkgdep to new revisions,
and if I try install not repacked package to a clean machine from prepared =
package=20
repository, it will pick up OLD dependency rather than new, cause contains =
old=20
dependencies list.

So recursive package update should be expanded as "rebuild depended package=
s, which=20
upgraded too, AND repack all rest depended tree" to get ${PACKAGES}/All rep=
ository in=20
consistency.

> If I'm missing something or you're asking for something different,
> please let me know.
>=20
>=20
> Doug
>=20

=2D-=20
Dima "Red Fox" Panov @ Home | C73E 2B72 1FFD 61BD E206 1234 A626 76ED 93E3 =
B018
Khabarovsk, Russia          | 2D30 2CCB 9984 130C 6F87 BAFC FB8B A09D D539 =
8F29
KDE@FreeBSD Team | FreeBSD committer since 10.08.2009 | FreeBSD since Sept =
1995
Twitter.com:fluffy_khv | Skype:dima.panov | Jabber.org:fluffy.khv | ICQ:174=
5024