Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 08:13:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jdl@chromatic.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: That IDE CD ROM thang again...

As Jon Loeliger wrote:

> Well, I was never able to get my wdc1 controller recognized at all.
> Don't know why yet.

Since it's not a controller?  Usually, a wdc "controller" will only be
recognized if there's a disk attached, since it's actually the disk
that is answering on the bus.

> Turns out, I *did* have to byte-pair shuffle the ID string in order
> to get real "english"here.
>
> Naturally though, it's not a hard disk.  Apparently the "type" of
> device is returned from an insw() call, vaguely like:

I think it's in error to byte-shuffle only the ID string.  Everything
from the drive must be byte-swapped, including the ID word and all
data.  (Of course, you have to make a distinction whether to swap or
not before.)

Disclaimer: i don't own an ATAPI CD, and the only wdc-style drive
i'm still operating sits in my notebook.
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/