Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "N. Emile Akabi-Davis" <akabi@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Reflections on FreeBSD 2.2.6

I installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 for the first time on Monday and for the
second time last night. I will probably install again soon. Coming
from Linux, I must say it requires a different mindset.

The installation was nearly problem free, but I got thru it. I do have
a couple of things I would like to get done like setting up my PnP
modem and getting my cdrom to play music. But I have come reading to
do. Major problem for me is getting used to using the ESC key for
filename completion instead of the TAB key. I also have to get
used to the fact that csh does not allow me to use the UP/DOWN
arrow keys for cycling thru past issue commands. Well at least
I do not know what to set as yet to allow this. Another quirk
I noticed was that in X, my backspace key deletes forwards. I
would like it to delete backwards ;) I notice there is no support
for parallel port Zip Drives as yet, so I'll have to copy/backup
to a Linux partition and from there transfer to a Zip disk.

Oh yeah, I recompiled my kernel successfully. BTW, when booting
up, why does it just sit there as if something is wrong when it
is detecting my harddrive and cdrom. I nearly gave it the three
fingered salute the first time that happened. Seems bootup is
slightly shorter than Linux, but shutdown is much faster.

So far, things look promising. I try spend as much time in
FreeBSD as possible. It will not replace Linux, but it will
stay on a *used* companion to Linux. Well I have to got to
-questions now and see what I knowledge I can pick up there.

Thanks to all the guys for the good work there have put it.

--
Caio                            |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
N.Emile <DeR vInYl JuNkIe>      |  do not get until just after you need it.