Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 02:09:44 -0500
From:      "Jason" <kib@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ftp servers

I got this email address from the freebsd web page and wanted to know some
information about this OS in regards to internet daemons in general and ftp
server specifically

Here is my situation:
I am tasked to setup a internet server to handle many different
applications.  I have found that this OS is the most recommended.  I have
the following requirements to be met and hope this OS or some applications
for it can fill them.
-I need a FTP server than can be provisioned via a remote GUI.  this remote
GUI needs to be able to run on win9x boxes as well as other BSD boxes.  I am
looking for something like the one found in WarFTPd 1.7 released by JGAA for
win9x but something that will run on a more stable platform like BSD.
-This FTP needs to be able to restrict access by domain name and IP address.
It also needs to handle usage statistics by user, class and system for file
transfers, speed, logins, failed logins, and time of day/day of week usage.
-This OS needs to be able to handle remote shutdown and restart commands as
well as shutdown and start commands for each of the servers.
-It needs to be very reliable operate with PII and PIII boxes with standard
hardware like Sound cards, PCI or APG video, Ethernet Cards, SCSI
controllers, and CD Burners.
-It needs to allow automatic dial on demand for clients on a local LAN and
provide gateway services to win9x clients that is totally transparent to the
client.  No special proxy settings.

Anyhow...these are the major issues I need to have to choose a
platform...there are many more but wont bore you with those right now.  If I
can meet these requirements then its worth my time to buy this OS and see
what I can do with it.

I appreciate your time in reading though all this...I know I can ramble on
forever but this information is critical to an upcoming project that I am
charged with managing.  I have very little Unix background.  Haven't used it
in over 15 years now so I will need a lot of  support  :)

Thanks again,

Jason Cribbins
FtS Productions