Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

> At 6:49 PM -0700 10/25/01, David O'Brien wrote:
> >Thus I want time_t to be the same size on every FreeBSD platform so
> >that time wrap-arounds happen in the same way on the most popular
> >platform (read i386) which gets a lot of testing and defines what
> >is FreeBSD in behavior, and the Alpha platform (which at times seems
> >to only have a hand-full of users).  As we get more platforms, we
> >are only going to have more of the problem of FreeBSD really only
> >being well used on one of our offered architectures.
>
> Actually, I expect the opposite to happen.  I can get my hands
> on both PowerPC and Sparc64 machines a lot easier than Alpha
> machines, and certainly Intel is going to push to make IA-64
> very common.  As these new "higher-volume" platforms come online,
> I expect a larger percentage of FreeBSD users will be using
> machines that are NOT i386...

I would expect Intel to in fact *not* push IA-64 for desktop machines- at
least not for several years.

They would osborne themselves out of their main revenue stream *and* open
themselves up to a horde of mini-AMDs coming in and snagging that market.

*Unless*  Micros$ft makes a new release of XP 64 bit. And we all know how
enthusiasitc they were about the Alpha 64 bit port for NT......

-matt