Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:02:09 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic linking (was Re: Using MD5 insted of DES ...)

In message <199804222024.WAA00701@greenpeace.grondar.za>, Mark Murray writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> What about the root password prompt in /sbin/init ?
>>
>> That is the only really troublesome case...
>
>Of the very lively dialog that thas passsed on this subject the last
>couple of days, the most useable solution seems to be (in the case of
>apps in /(s)bin that may need alternative crypts) is to link them using
>the normal dynamic flags, except to force them to use the static
>libraries. This way will get a useable dlopen, and will allow the app to
>function as required, and will not break the rest of the world with a
>dynamic /(s)bin/*. The apps can then use a (say) cryptdes.so if it
>exists.
>
>Is my summary OK?

Yes, I think we just need to see some code.

What about the SHS ($2$) suport for crypt() should we sneak that in
at the same time ?

Did we also agree that login.conf can specify which encryption to
use along these lines:

	modify existing password:
		entry in login.conf ?
			yes: use what login.conf says
			no: use same as existing password.

	create new password:
		entry in login.conf ?
			yes: use what login.conf says
			no: use same as current root password

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal