Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:39:03 -0400
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fetch error

Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:16:47 -0400, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> I think I messed up the fetch setting in the envelope.
>>
>> Running 9.0 and get this console msg.
>>
>> env: usr/bin/fetch: No such file or directory
>>
>> When I enter env command to show all values I see nothing about fetch.
>
> The "env" command is often used as a "bridge" to explicitely
> call commands where the actual location is not known or cannot
> be predicted, e. g.
>
> 	#!/usr/bin/env bash
>
> at the start of a bash script instead of
>
> 	#!/bin/bash
>
> Linuxism or when statically linked, as opposed to
>
> 	#!/usr/local/bin/bash
>
> default location on FreeBSD.
>

> In what operation do you receive the message? Maybe some typo
> in a shell script or Makefile?
>
> Examine closely:
>
> 	env: usr/bin/fetch: No such file or directory
> 	     ^
>
> The leading / is missing, because "usr/bin/fetch" would only
> exist when $CWD is /, otherwise not; "/usr/bin/fetch" should
> be correct.
>
> 	% which fetch
> 	/usr/bin/fetch
> 	^
>
> Here the correct path is provided. Maybe you ran into some script
> that calls fetch the "bridge" way improperly?
>
> Test:
>
> 	% env usr/bin/fetch
> 	env: usr/bin/fetch: No such file or directory
>
> And now properly:
>
> 	% env /usr/bin/fetch
> 	usage: fetch [-146AadFlMmnPpqRrsUv] ............
>
> It seems that env is used here to "set environment and execute
> command"; see "man env" for details.

I get that env error when running the new csup. A few months back I was
fooling around with pf firewall and was testing different env settings
to test passive mode with pf. I think i changed this environment value
and made a typo leaving off the leading /. I no longer remember the
environment name I used when I did the typo. Can you help me with what
the name is to use?