Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:57:19 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        swjatoslaw gerus <milstar2@eml.cc>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: iwconfig format , if free bsd have not , author is false person for freebsd  -only mobile application  16 hours per dday

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:14:43 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:

> iwconfig format ,if freebsd have not equal ,author is false person for
> freebsd  -only mobile application 16 hours per day

If it works on Linux, it'll probably work on FreeBSD. It's
not a matter of the "false" person, but of the person's
knowledge and engagement to get the configuration right.

On Linux, there are scripts provided by the maintainers
of the network which do... something. If you're okay with
running arbitrary software on your computer, then, well,
it's easier for sure. But is it more secure? And in case
of problems, easier to debug?

FreeBSD doesn't have different tools for each kind of
network. The "ifconfig" program (see "man ifconfig",
entries related to "wireless") is used to control the
WLAN card. Heavily simplified, imagine it like this:

NIC		---> hardware

iwn		---> driver

ifconfig	---> control the interface *1*

wpa_supplicant	---> make the connection *2*

dhclient	---> get the IP via DHCP

user programs	---> do things on the Internet

Points *1* and *2* require custom configuration, such
as proper mode settings, access credentials etc. If
you fail to provide them, the whole "stack" won't work.
Do not expect the impossible.

> Solaris 11.3  do not have ,possible version 10 have    or ?

Solaris isn't supported - you said "Linux only". And
honestly, Solaris is harder to use than FreeBSD. :-)

> relevant comment would appreciated
>
>  watch -n1  iwconfig
> annd in x11 can see with 1 sek interval
> time                signal level
> 18.01.01          -56 dbm
> 18.01.02          -58 dbm
>
>  level ist tested  2 month 14 -16 hours per day   in Centr of university
>  complex of Hamburg
>  can be level -52 dbm -90 dbm
> by  -84 dbm browser do not work     ... that is good correlated

It's good when you know about the signal strength and
which levels are required for operation. That information
can also be found in "ifconfig" output.

> with  limit -174 dbm for 1 hz bandwitch

1 Hz? One (whole) Hertz? I doubt that's true... :-)

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:54:43 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
> Inventory and Monitoring Commands for Linux, Solaris and AIX
>
> https://www.netiq.com/documentation/ps_recon37/recon_user/data/bipfhdm.html
>
>  If author understand correctly  and list above ist correct
>
> exist no command  in UNIX  ,which is related only to wireless as
> folloving commando  in Linux

Correct. Such a "the one command" does not exist.
It simply isn't _needed_ because UNIX in general
tries to implement the concept "create one program
that performs one task, perform only _that_ task,
and perform it well; make it able to connect to
other programs" - and that's exactly how the net-
working "stack" (mentioned above) works on FreeBSD.

>  If that is correct,than author false person in unix world

You seem to have basic UNIX skills, so why waste them?
Of course there is a learning curve, and you need to
get the basics (!) right.

> no demand for data management   -no any 1 kb of data   in  256 gb HD
>  no network administration -single user

A simple X installation, a simple window manager, a web
browser, maybe other tools - exactly what FreeBSD can
provide you as soon as you got your network configured
correctly.

> but 16 hours per day wireless application wlan and possbly umts as
> reserve for wlan

Get your WLAN working, and it's possible.

>  Problem of author   -    Desktop environment (Gnome,KDE &  icon )in
>  linux os must be forced out

That is not possible. Linux operations heavily rely on
those tools, and most distributions concentrate around
a specific desktop environment. Of course there are
distributions that allow you the freedom of choice like
FreeBSD does, but they _might_ be too complicated for
you at the moment.

> only demand for composite "standart " window manager   -compiz  or ?

That is possible, and the pointers on how to achieve
this have been provided several times. There is a whole
section in the handbook designed to help you.

> it was not simple by ubuntu 16.04 64 bit   (force gnome ,unity &)   but
> can try another ...

Of course you can try different Linux distributions, and
it's so much easier because you can try them from a USB
stick or a CD / DVD _withouth_ needing to install them.
Go ahead!

> or old solaris 10 have iwconfig   ?

No. And _old_ software should be avoided anyway, even if
it's Solaris. And... doesn't Solaris use Gnome, too?
I mean, _after_ CDE... ;-)

PS. Don't forward ("Fwd:") to the list, _send_ to the list.
    The list will "forward" messages to all subscribers
    automatically. You don't need to do the list's work. :-)
    The list's address belongs in the To: or Cc: field.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany