Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:06:46 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nvi maintainer?

In message <200107081531.f68FVfU90366@aslan.scsiguy.com>, "Justin T.
Gibbs" wri
tes:
> >Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
> >> Setting undolevels=0 causes vim to have the same undo/redo behaviour as
> >> vendor vi and nvi.
> >
> >Nope, nvi has multiple undo levels (not sure how many), press '.'
> >after pressing 'u' to undo additional levels.
>
> I'm forced to use VIM under Linux and personally think that VIM
> just doesn't cut it.  :split instead of :E, the funky undo behavior,
> the format of the status line, etc, etc.

I'd be just as happy if we forked our copy of nvi, now that I've
learned how to use the funky new (to myself) undo behaviour.

For that matter this affects all of the *BSD's.  Could we just
collaborate with NetBSD and OpenBSD to maintain a single version of nvi
or an unencumbered version of DB3 across the *BSD's?  I'm sure the
other BSD projects are considering their options too.  OpenSSH is a
good example of this.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC