Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:49:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for the CPU interrupt API

:
:Your comments were not on point for what John is trying to accomplish. They
:clearly are a vehicle that you are using to leap in and say how loosely and
:poorly the SMP effort is being run (it is).
:
:If you actually were really contributing to the effort, I'd probably agree
:with you, but I see nothing from you on this topic that is very helpful right
:now.

    Well, this is out of the blue.  Not only was I not trying to turn John's
    suggestion into a vehicle for any such thing, but I in fact have
    absolutely no problem with his idea... I happen to like it.  My only
    interest is to ensure that the functions are documented well enough
    that we don't hit the same snag that we hit with the spl*() calls not
    being nested -- by making the API crystal clear.  That's all.

    And as far as contributing goes... SMP isn't the only thing going on in
    the FreeBSD tree, dude.  I've been working my ass off and in what little
    spare time I've had I've been tracking down and fixing filesystem, NFS,
    and VM problems, often with the help of many people including Paul,
    Alfred, Kirk, Tor, Ian, Alan, and many others.  All you have to do is look
    in the cvs logs for 'dillon' (either committed by or reviewed by) and
    that should be pretty damn obvious.

    While it is true that I feel the SMPng stuff could have been done with
    fewer breakages, I think I've only stated that view once or twice on
    the lists in the last year.  At the very beginning, at the meeting
    at Yahoo, I had very little time todo work and I said that quite
    clearly.  I did what I could to get the ball rolling in the time
    I had by cleaning and documenting as much low level code as I had
    time for and implementing the idle process context.  I'm sorry I
    didn't have time to do more, but as I said I am extremely busy right now
    trying to make my startup a success.  I have bigger things to worry about
    then a few bruised egos.

:Calling my comments 'inane' is rich. You're the complete moron who claims to
:'support' NFS but can't be bothered to have non-*BSD clients.  Go away and
:bother somebody who cares.

    Huh?  I have absolutely no clue as to what you are talking about here.
    I have spent hundreds of hours with people fixing NFS bugs, many related
    to other platforms.  All you have to do is look at the commit logs to see
    that.  Just a month or two ago I fixed a bug related to the use of
    O_EXCL|O_CREAT opens in mixed BSD/Solaris environments, for example.

    If you were interesting in moving the conversation onward there are
    about a thousand nice ways you could have said it.  Since you chose not
    to use one of those thousand ways, my description of your comment is
    accurate.

						-Matt