Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:04:33 +0200
From:      Alan Robinson <alan.robinson@fujitsu-siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   linkage between kld modules on IA64

Hi Folks,

A quick question.

I have two kld modules, the second of which has an external linkage
dependence (a variable called mybla ) on the first. I have checked
that the symbol is exported in the one.ko module

nm one.ko | grep bla
0000000000012b30 D mybla

kldload one.ko
kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    2 0xe000000000500000 6d4e78   kernel
 2    1 0xa000000004b34000 20000    one.ko

nm two.ko | grep bla
                 U mybla

but when I "kldload two.ko" I get

kldload: can't load two.ko: No such file or directory

and I a console message.

link_elf: symbol mybla undefined

I also tried to use the MODULE_DEPEND macro and to not
kldload one.ko.  I can get the one.ko automatically loaded, I
then get the same console message, and one.ko gets automatically
unloaded.

If I take the one.o and two.o and create a three.ko I can kldload
quite happly and see both modules.

The question is "is this normal for FreeBSD 5.x" or is this an IA64
problem. I currently have no way of testing this on any another
FreeBSD 5.x

Alan