Date:      Thu, 03 May 2012 15:22:35 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing dead drives in ZRAID2

Simon,

ZFS is known to put much more stress on hardware than UFS (in typical
usage) and any flaky hardware setup very quickly breaks up. When I
started playing with ZFS, I was dismayed that few drives that were
otherwise perfectly OK and never, ever showed any indication of
malfunction did show errors with ZFS. Same with controllers.

Just don't panic :)

ZFS is very reliable otherwise, sometimes in the 'magical' realm (but of
course, don't ever imagine things, when it comes to your data).

My guess is, that you simulated the failing drives by pulling them out
too quickly. That is, if the Adaptec controller or rather the drives
doesn't fully support hot-swap you may need to do things more 'safely',
by waiting a bit between pulls, doing scsi bus reset (and waiting for it
to enumerate again), rescans etc.

One can sometimes hot-swap even non-hot swappable SATA this way :)
Sometimes..

Have you tried repeating this experiment?

Daniel