Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:52:29 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Arone Silimantia <aronesimi@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: quotas safe on >2 TB filesystems in 6.1-RELEASE ?

Eric Anderson wrote:
[...]
>> Hmmm...the time required is more dependent on inodes
>> than on size of data / size of files, right ?
>>
>> My 9 TB dataset uses about 36 million inodes.
>>
>> Any comments on that number ?  Large ?  Pedestrian ? Typical ?
>

> Sounds like you have a lot of larger files (~250k per file on average
> possibly), which helps the fsck times.  36 million inodes should be
> fsck'able with enough memory (maybe ~3gb ish? That's a wild guess).  I
> have two 10Tb file systems, one has 180million inodes.  I don't attempt
> to fsck it, because it would take a very long time, and I might possibly
> run out of memory (I have 8Gb of memory).  I use GJOURNAL on these, and
> am very happy about it (thanks Pawel!).

How can I calculate required memory? Some time ago I have problems with
background fsck (snapshots?) on FreeBSD 6.0 with 1.2TB SCSI array
(kernel panic).
Then I set background_fsck="NO" and foreground fsck is running well. But
I don't know how much memory is needed for:
/dev/da1s1d 1132570308 514379258 561562536    48%   12456 146363222 0%
  /array0

real memory  = 2147401728 (2047 MB)
avail memory = 2096431104 (1999 MB)

# swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/da0s1b       4194304        0  4194304     0%

Can swap be used in time of fscking disc, or only "real" memory is used?

Miroslav Lachman