Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:24:39 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        alex@big.endian.de (Alexander Langer)
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: final call: truncate into the base system or not?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:55:43 +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:

> How, a final and ready-to-import version of truncate exists:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sheldonh/truncate/
>
> Since I can't recall any consensus whether importing or not, but only
> about implementation details, I'd like to know, what the opinion of
> _importing_ it into the base system is, _beside_ all implementation
> details.

For what it's worth, I've done an about-face on my earlier objection.
As explained to me by my mentor, the fact that it won't often be used is
outweighed by its usefulness when it _is_ needed and the fact that it's
a simple interface to a user-requestable system call with user-visible
effects.

Ciao,
Sheldon.