Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:23:07 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Nick Kraal <nick@arc.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OTT: SMTP settings on FreeBSD

> Perhaps slightly OTT. I would like to send mail out from my FreeBSD box via
> an external SMTP server and if possible retrieve mail via POP3. For whatever
> reason I don't want to use the local inbuilt sendmail.

It works fine.  This is how I setup my mail server on my box, which
allows me to use better mail filtering tools (using fetchmail which
delivers things locally so I can use procmail), while still leaving the
box safe from external hacking.

You must do a couple of things.

* Add a SMART_HOST entry to your sendmail MC file.
  define(`SMART_HOST', `smarthost.do.main')

* Make sure that your host has an MX record for your box that points to
  the SMART host with DNS, so that mail will be delivered to it instead
  of your box.

* (optional) Depending on your configuration, you may also need to add
  an mail alias to your box for 'SMART_HOST'.  I have both my internal
  and external boxes masquarade as my entire domain, so it all works
  right, but you may have to mess with /etc/mail/sendmail.cw.

Nate