Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:41:23 +0000
From:      Zenny <garbytrash@gmail.com>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NanoBSD compilation problem with 9-RELEASE

On 3/13/12, Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au> wrote:
> Thinks aren't looking good.  I've had this problem a few years ago when
> first using nanobsd.  I was chasing the problem until in the end I removed
> all exclusions from the build, and then added exclusions (WITHOUT_...)
> until something broke, which revealed the problem. This could take awhile.
>
> To my casual eye, the issue seems to be related to the RC4 algorithm which
> might point to a problem with openssl.  I don't have access to any freebsd
> machines for the next two days (I'm in transit).  At a guess you might need
> to either:
> A) enable the RC4 algorithm in the openssl build, though I think its on by
> default or
> B) review the src.conf file for anything with WPA_SUPPLICANT* and add that
> to your "WITHOUT_" list; at least until you've gotten one complete build
> under your belt.

Thanks for your input. Yep, that seemed working with a few things that I did:

1) removed all source and ports and csup/portsnap them
2) In the src.conf file, I figured out that disabling WPA_SUPPLICANT
(#WITHOUT_WPA_SUPPLICANT=true") is preventing the build world.
3) In the kernel file, I have to change from COMPAT_IA32 to
COMPAT_FREEBSD32 (the former is obsoleted in FreeBSD9-RELEASE) to
complete the build kernel.

BTW, I am just wondering where and how to specify any kernel patches
to be applied to a nanobsd image? Could not figure out any
documentation.

> It's tricky business getting the build the way that you'd like it, but once
> achieved, you'll be knowledgeable  with your result.
>
> Things to note: WITHOUT_ENCRYPTION have undocumented side-effects like not
> building geli, nor libarchive - don't use this knob; and WITHOUT_OBJC will
> cause problems that took me lot of time to identify.

Thank you for the pointers.