Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:25:49 +0200
From:      Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs woes

The mailing list strips attachments. We still don't have your image.

And as prevention, I would say test your disks and upgrade the firmware.
I had a similar problem (panics when both root disks were gone, checksum
errors on boot) with Crucial SSDs, but new firmware fixed it. Sebulon on
the forum had an issue with some Samsung disks or some SSDs and I
believe fixed it the same way.

I test my disks by putting them in a redundant test zpool, writing to
them, then pulling one, putting back in, pulling again, and putting back
in, and then testing to see if the disk can be seen. It seems to work in
detecting the problem on those SSDs, but I don't have any other disks
that I've tested with time in the OS. (btw warning #1 if you do this
non-redundant, your writing process will lock up, and the zpool command
might too, so you can't as easily test multiple disks, and warning #2
gpart show on the disk you pulled and broke will segfault, and gpart
recover will panic the system)

As for a fix after your system is already damaged... sorry, don't know.

On 08/31/2012 09:13 AM, Duncan Young wrote:
> My apologies,  I forgot to attach an image of the output from the panic.
>
> Duncan
>
> On 31/08/2012 7:24 AM, Duncan Young wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a problem.
>>
>> My computer has been regularly locking up, I think it could be disk
>> related.  This has been causing the odd
>> checksum error on the disks, which scrubbing seems to clean up.
>>
>> Now my problem is, after starting up after one of these lockups, the
>> system mirror, reported an uncorrectable error.
>> Both drives showed checksum errors (4 errors, I think).  Using the -v
>> flag a file was identified as corrupt.  Upon trying
>> to delete this file, the system panicked.  O.K. it is on the
>> system/ports filesystem, so I'll just copy all but the corrupt
>> directory, to system/ports2 etc, etc.  Upon zfs destroy -r
>> system/ports, another panic.  Now the entire system pool is corrupted,
>> resulting in a panic upon boot.  I presume the reslivering is causing
>> this.
>>
>> I moved the two disks to my backup machine (purely used for sending
>> backups onto).  Its running 9.0-release #2.  When I try to do
>> an import, it panics.  Now this I find surprising.  Surely importing
>> disks should either succeed or fail, not bring the whole machine down.
>>
>> Trying to import into openindiana also causes a panic and reboot (I
>> didn't expect this).
>>
>> Any pointers as to where I go from now (other than reinstall).
>>
>> Duncan

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult
Max-Planck-Str. 2