Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:53:28 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Vadim Kolontsov <vadim@tversu.ac.ru>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   summury: holes in locale

Hello,

  the summary about patchkit.

  Patchkit must understand all versions of FreeBSD, and make a correct
changes in the system. It must contain:

    1) corrected /usr/lib/libc.a, libc.so.*
    2) corrected /usr/lib/crt0.o
    3) lfix, which patches statically linked binaries (why to
patch dinamically linked bins? we already fixed this bug placing patched
libc in /usr/lib, isn't it?)
    4) some script, which can make all modification automatically; it must
check if we are working in single-user mode (to avoid problem with
running binaries)
    5) good README

  My part of project: lfix/ltest. I have to make changes in it, because at
this time lfix/ltest tested only on FreeBSD 2.1.0 (by me). Also checking
for static/dyn linking can be added.. and chflag handling..

  I still don't know what we need to do with statically linked binaries
which calls locale stuff by itself.. may be we can patch libc, contained
in binary (pattern search for _startup_locale code etc)?... of course,
recompiling is the solution...

  Anybody knows, how many statically linked setuid binaries call locale
routines by itself? (not by their C startup module) May be, we can include
corrected (recompiled) versions of them into the patchkit?.. For all
versions of FreeBSD?

  Any ideas, suggestions, volunteers?..

Best regards, Vadim.
Vadim Kolontsov                                          SysAdm/Programmer
Tver Regional Center of New Information Technologies          Networks Lab