Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 22:42:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP

 On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

 > OK, I'm sure this has been answered several times, but I'm not sure what
 > to do.
 > I have my computer setup with a 1.1 gig Win95 partition on EIDE drive 0,
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Your MUCH to kind:)

 > and FreeBSD with 100 MB on 0 and the full 2.1 gig on unit 1.
 > I'm trying to setup a PPP connection with our ISP, Erols.  Here's what
 > happens:
 > 1) run ppp
 > 2) go into term mode
 > 3) dial the number and login
 > 4) go into packet mode
 > 5) shell out of PPP (or use another window)
                !/^______________/^
 I don't think the shell works that way ... yet.

 > 6) it gives me the (dynamic) IP assigned to me (207.blahblah) and sets up
 > a route from that to (presumably) a gateway (205.blahblah)

 From this point on I'm not sure what your doing.
 Here are my files.

 -= /etc/hosts =-
 #
 127.0.0.1      localhost
 #
 10.0.0.1       kevin.sunshine.net  kevin
 #
 -= end /etc/hosts =-

 -= /etc/host.conf =-
 hosts
 bind
 -= end /etc/host.conf =-

 -= /etc/resolv.conf =-
 domain            sunshine.net
 nameserver     204.191.204.2
 -= end /etc/resolv.conf =-

 -= /etc/ppp/ppp.secret =-
 #  Sysname          Secret Key          Peer's IP address
   kevin                 (:It's a secret:)         10.0.0.1
 -= end /etc/ppp/ppp.secret =-

 -= /etc/ppp/ppp.conf =-
 default:            <======[ ]
  set device /dev/cuaa0             |
  set speed 57600              | "These are the
  deny lqr                | defaults that
  disable lqr                  | 'iijppp' uses at
  deny pred1                   | every execution.
  disable pred1                |
  accept pap                   | [This is set up
  disable pap                  | [for PAP auth.
  disable chap                 |
  deny chap                    |
  disable proxy                |
  deny proxy                   |
  set log carrier link phase lcp         |
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\sCARRIER|TIMEOUT 5
 AT&FM0 OK-AT-OK \dATDT\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
  set redial 10 20        <======[ ]
 surf:                    <======[ ] ie PPP ON kevin> dial surf
  set phone 555-1212
  set login "TIMEOUT 10 gin:-BREAK-gin: [your_login_script] word: [password]"
  set timeout 300
  set ifaddr 204.191.205.86/0 204.191.204.251/0
           !/^____________/^~^_____________/^
                IP             Gateway
 These are set so the ISP can assign you a different IP
 Address and Gateway Address after authentication.
 -= end /etc/ppp/ppp.conf =-

 -= /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup =-
 MYADDR:
  delete ALL
  add 0 0 HISADDR
 -= end/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup =-

 I'm not sure what these do but they work:)
 I think that it deletes the 'assumed' route above and then
 defaults to the routes imposed by your ISP.

 > like to pull down the new version of FreeBSD (prob. 2.2-STABLE), etc, but
 > there's no reasonable way to do that without getting PPP working.  Any
 > suggestions would be VERY greatly appreciated.

 You could upgrade by using the downloaded boot.flp for the
 release, after backing up (of course).

 > Please make sure to CC me; I'm not on the list anymore.
 >
 > Thanks for your help,
 >
 > :-}  MAtt

 I hope this configuration works for you.

 --
 =| Regards,             =| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
 =| Kevin G. Eliuk       =| "Free at last, free at last, ...."