Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 12:16:39 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, Walter Haslbeck <WH@ODS.de>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG, everybodyunix@wup.de, jk@ct.heise.de
Subject:   Re: Dual PPro Mainboard f. SCO SMP

On Fri, May 02, 1997 at 02:04:05AM -0600, Steve Passe wrote:

> > > being a bi-noid I always have trouble with statistical type math,
> > Well, am I wrong ? I saw it the other way around. Single processor
> > mode gave us the value 213.17.  This is the 100% value.
> >
> > SMP gives us a better values. How good ?
> >
> > 119.08 / 213.17 = 0.55
> >
> > If it would be exactly 0.5, then it would be half the time, so
> > a 100% speedup, so factor 2. 0.55 is exactly 90% speed gain,
> > factor 1.9.
>
> as I said, this type math ain't my thing... whether its 1.79 or 1.9
> I'm pretty happy its as good as it currently is.  Knowing how much room we
> have for improvement from these base numbers is very encouraging.
> We are quite inefficient at kernel locking, once we get our act together
> there it should really fly!  And the current version seems to be VERY stable
> so I'm doubly happy!!

Yes indeed, fast and stable !!!

BTW: I'd like to create some more figures for further comparisons

	- dual PPro System using Pentiums with 512k cache
	- quad PPro System
	- dual Pentium 200
	- dual Pentium 200 MMX

It would be interesting to see

	- how much performance gain you get using 512k
	  2nd level cache CPU's vs. 256k cache
	- how much performance (loss) you get, when 2 CPU's have
	  to share the same 2nd Level cache (Pentium/MMX case)
	- how much system overhead you get using a 4 CPU system
	- what a MMX CPU brings for such things like compilation jobs

But ... we'll certainly never get really compareable results...

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD