Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:30:22 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Announcement

Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org> types:
> Hello:
> Is there a way of making a system announcement?  I need one that users
> will get when they log in and then again occasionally while they are
> logged in.  I need to announce system restarts and such.

To pull the answers into one place, and add a bit:

/etc/motd is displayed to all user who haven't disabled it on
login. If you've got a recent system, you can use the if field of
/etc/gettytab to to provide a bit finer control, though I've not
played with it.

For announcements to everyone currently logged in, use wall. For
system restarts, the shutdown command does everything you want. You
can schedule the shutdown for a specific time, and provide a message
to be sent to everyone with at various intervals until the shutdown
time arrives. Try "shutdown -k +30 Quake is to slow." to see it in
action without actually shutting down the system.

Read the man pages for shutdown, wall, and motd for more
information. The man page for gettytab doesn't really provide more
information about /etc/issue :-(.

	<mike