Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:37:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > > load kernel
> > > load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
> > >
> > > and then putting your pnp configuration line on /kernel.config (if
> > > it is not there already).
> >
> > This is good info for current, right?  And I don't need to worry about
> > "userconfig_script"?  What's load -t do (I don't need a man page, but at
> > least a few words on the -t, please).
>
> '-t' does basically two things. First of all, it selects right loading
> procedure, e.g. just suck it in instead of interpreting it as an ELF
> binary. The other thing is that it attaches a magic label to this piece of
> code, so that later from within the kernel you can do
> preload_search_by_type("my_lovely_magic_string") and it will return a
> pointer to the right data, be it an executable code or a text or a
> graphics image.
>
>  >
> > The pnp line will be the only thing in /kernel.config, that's normal?
>
> Yes. Since you're running -current, you should be able to use kget(8) as a
> dset replacement to generate /kernel.config for you, based on the changes
> in UserConfig.

Wonderful, between you, Don Maddox and Dan Sobral, you guys have
explained that pretty darned well.  Glad it's in the mail archives now.
My new $30 sound card is also surprising heck out of me by sounding
fine, too. I'll stick info on that in snd/CARDS when I'm finished
getting more info on it.

This stuff oughta be somewhere, soonest.  If it's not man page, at least
a temporary distillation of it in a file in sys/boot, to be tossed once
there's a man page.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).