Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:03:19 -0700
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Joe Holden" <joe@joeholden.co.uk>
Cc:        Rob Watt <rob@hudson-trading.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel em receive hang and possible pr #72970

On 8/31/06, Joe Holden <joe@joeholden.co.uk> wrote:
> Jack Vogel wrote:
> > On 8/31/06, Rob Watt <rob@hudson-trading.com> wrote:
> >
> >> After poking around in various group/pr postings the most similar problem
> >> that we found was PR #72970.
> >>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=72970
> >>
> >> Does it seem that we are encountering that bug? Is that bug fixed in
> >> 6.1-RELEASE, or is there an easy patch to 6.0-RELEASE (i.e. can we only
> >> patch the em driver).
> >
> > That fix is only just into the STABLE code, so no, not in 6.1-RELEASE.
> > You could take the tip of STABLE, but if you have only a 6.0 based
> > system I know you are going to run into some backward incompatabililties.
> > As a matter of fact I dont believe the STABLE tip will even build on
> > RELEASE (something that I take issue with).
> >
> > Sounds like its at least possible this is your problem, worth setting up a
> > system to test with I would say.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Jack
> > Intel LAD
> IF you want latest -STABLE you use stable, if you want code AS-IS when
> it was released, you use RELEASE

I agree with that in the case of generic OS, but from the standpoint of a driver
developer/maintainer I hope you see why this is a problem, yes?

In the commercial world they dont want to upgrade a complete OS to get a
couple line bug fix in a driver, so making the driver backward compatible
WHEN POSSIBLE (and I know thats not always doable) is goodness.

Jack