Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:00:01 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Marvin McNett <mmcnett@cs.ucsd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd problem

At 11:53 PM -0700 6/7/01, Marvin McNett wrote:
>Garance,
>
>Thanks for the reply.  I'm still having this strange problem.
>I've noticed that I need to restart lpd every time I log in
>(not just a boot time as I originally stated).  This makes no
>sense to me.

Well, I was hoping someone else would answer, because it doesn't
make a whole lot of sense to me either...  :-)

You mention that you have to restart lpd every time you log in.
I assume that means the lpd process is still running fine (and
has to be stopped), it's just that the stupid queue for the
Lexmark isn't working.

About the only thing I can guess is something in your environment
space.  Change the print-filter that lexmark provided so it will
log the current environment somewhere when the filter starts up
(if it's a binary program, then wrap the program with a script).
Just a simple 'date >> /tmp/stupidQ; set >> /tmp/stupidQ;' should
do the trick.

Then try various experiments to see what is different between the
times when the queue works, and when it doesn't.  Sorry I can't
be more help.  While I do a lot with printing, it's almost all
experience with network-printers.