Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:04:39 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de
Cc:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Call for Review: Voxware midi driver for serial ports

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:43:45 +0200,
  Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> said:

>> We have at least one product to convert a serial port to a midi port and vice versa:
>>
>> http://www.midi-classics.com/p2615.htm
>>
>> has one midi output and one input, although our driver is not capable to receive midi signal yet.

nox> Huh, it is send only? :)  or do you mean with that interface...  What
nox> would be required to make it work?

Sorry, I had a misunderstanding. Tsuyoshi-san pointed me out that our driver is
able to receive midi signal as well. I was just not able to test by myself...

Using Portman PC/S, you will have something like this:

	    38.4kbps		    31.25kbps
	PC ---------- Portman PC/S ----------- Midi Module
	    Portman		    Midi
	    Serial		    Cable
	    Cable

Portman transforms the singal bitrate and the electrical characteristics.
Portman has its own cable contained in the product.

Since I do not have a Portman now, I am not convinced whether we can drive
it using our driver or not. Things will be tough if Portman cooks the signal
from and/or to PC. This seems more likely for the multi-port midi-serial
interfaces, especially the ones capable to select the {in,out}out ports
by the PC.

For the modules with serial interfaces(most modern ones like Roland SC-88 have):

		     38.4kbps
	    Serial Cable for the Module

I got to play sequences successfully under the situation shown above.
I used SC-88, with a 'computer port'. It accepts the bitrates of both 31.25kbps
and 38.4kbps, transforming the signal internally. You can plug some other
midi modules and instruments to the module connected to the PC. In this case
the module also acts as a midi interface.

Seigo TANIMURA           |M2, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ