Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An idea for promoting FreeBSD

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Joey Garcia wrote:

> Hmmm...I seem to be rambling a bit.  Basically, what I wanted to know is
> what path are we (the freebsd community) going to take FreeBSD.  Are we
> going to take the Server path, the Workstation path, or both?  I'd prefer
> both of course.  We've all seen that FreeBSD is a phenomenal server, let's
> show (let prospective users know and all) that it can be a kick butt
> Workstation as well.  But how are we gonna do that?  Any ideas?

Flick a couple switches in inetd.conf and voila! Instant workstation.

You and I all know that FreeBSD can be whatever we make it by
configuration. The less experienced user may not know this.

I say that the key to doing all of these things (workstation, lite
versions etc) is providing the correct level of documentation for that
audience.

It would be easier to put a link on the website like this...

To make your OS a workstation follow these <a href>simple
instructions</a>.

.... than it would be to develop a new distribution out of the existing
distribution.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html