Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:11:13 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        toolchain@FreeBSD.org, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Apple's GCC 42 enhancements (was Re: [CFT] Experimental gcc update).

On Nov 24, 2013, at 5:54 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2013, at 22:11, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> I have particular interest in -fwritable-strings
>> and the block support, mostly with the idea of making our gcc
>> somewhat more compatible to clang.
>=20
> I would absolutely love to see our GCC have blocks support.  It would =
be very nice to be able to use blocks in libc. =20
>=20
> I have some macros that allow code to call blocks even when compiled =
with a compiler that doesn't support them, but having native blocks =
support would be fantastic.  It's worth noting that Apple's libc =
includes a few _b variants of standard library functions:
>=20
> scandir_b
> err_set_exit_b
> fts_open_b
> glob_b
> atexit_b
> bsearch_b
> heapsort_b
> mergesort_b
> psort_b
> qsort_b
>=20
> These all do the same as their non-_b-suffixed equivalents, but take a =
block as an argument instead of a function pointer.  Adding them has =
been on my todo list for a while, and this would give me a strong =
incentive to do so...

Cool! Any chance clang supports this Apple extension? :)

Warner