Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:45:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      jef moskot <jef@math.miami.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Changing visible From: line using "mail"

[Sorry to spam, but I sent this same message out earlier today with a
nonsense test Subject...I'd been testing mail for a while and forgot to
turn my brain on when I hit the Subject line.  I apologize. -jef]

I have what (I hope) is a simple mail-related question.

Two departments are sharing one server for purposes of sending e-mail.
Mail to both these departments currently goes to the same server.

Math faculty would like their e-mail addresses to appear as
<username>@math.miami.edu and Computer Science faculty would like their
address to be seen as <username>@cs.miami.edu (although both addresses
ultimately deliever mail to the same place).

This is easy to set up using pine or Netscape, but I can't currently get
it to work with mail.

I have tried altering this info using the ~/.mailrc file, but it has no
effect.  Sample .mailrc file:

set sentmailhostname='cs.miami.edu'
set sentmailusername='jef@cs.miami.edu'
set additionalfields='From:jef@cs.miami.edu'

None of these lines are having any effect at all.

Any suggestions (other than just trying to get everyone to use pine)?

I'm not married to the idea of altering the .mailrc file and will try
anything that will do the job...this is just the path I was on at the time
I gave up hope.

Also, I'm not particularly interested in changing the Reply-To: line,
since the default addresses currently being defined by mail are
technically correct.  This is an issue of appearances.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator
jef@math.miami.edu