Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:11:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ReelMagic 2.1

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > Any chance I can use this card with some driver ?
> >
> > On the card you've got:
> >
> > SIGMA designs EM7000, EM7010, EM7040 & EM7050 chips.
> > ad1847 soundport.
> > cirrus logic clgd5200
> > adsp 2115
>
> there was once a nice family of cards like this which have an onboard
> DSP (ADSP2115) which could be used to do a lot of things. The way it
> is generally used under DOS is to download some code to make the card
> emulate a legacy card (e.g. soundblaster or WSS). I am not sure if the
> emulation goes so far to evem emulate DMA.

This sounds a bit hectic for me, the card is probably way too old now,
I've noticed that SIGMA Designs don't even seem to want to support it.

Their website has a driver pack "for all their cards", except it doesn't
work with this one, for DOS I need the original driver disks... and
Windows (which incidentally deleted itself lastnight! =( ) just isn't
having it (no surprises there!).

> Some old voxware driver might have some support for this card but you
> need the DOS code from the dos driver.

Now this sounds worth trying, my problem here is that although the card
does sound and video, I'm more concerned about video really if there's
going to be any trouble involved.. This is only really because I doubt
anyone else still has one of these boards and isn't a DOS/Win3.1 user!

> > Other than that, I'd be interested in getting the mpeg side of the card
> > working.. That'd be nice..
>
> It would be really nice. As a matter of fact, I think you can even find
> a gcc port for the 2181 (the 2115 is an earlier member of the 21xx
> family, 24-bit fixed point DSP).
> But it takes some work of course to rewrite the driver...

That, would be nice, but of course someone would need the original code or
chipset specs (I guess if someone already has them ??...). Personally
there's no way I could do this, mostly because I know less about writing
drivers than I know about the El ninio (?) phenomenon. But lack of time
could figure as a poor excuse as well.

If there's a chance I could get it to work I'm willing to try though.

	Steve.

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/