Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 15:26:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Olof Johansson <offe@dawnrazor.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guess we don't need to port Java!

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Olof Johansson wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Jake Hamby wrote:
>
> > Yesterday, Netscape Communications announced version 2.0 of Netscape
> > Navigator, which will have a lot of neat new features, including Java
> > support!  The first beta version should be available from their web site
> > next week (including a BSDI UNIX version).  Looks like we won't need to
> > worry about porting HotJava to FreeBSD after all. :-)  Anyway, here's
> > the URL for Netscape's announcement for those who want to read about the new
> > features:
> >
> > http://www.mcom.com/comprod/products/navigator/version_2.0/index.html
>
> I hope that won't be BSDI as in BSDI 2.0...
>

> 					-Olof

I believe Netscape 2.0 will work under BSDI 1.x or 2.0.  At any rate,
Netscape 1.1 works fine under FreeBSD 2.0.5 (and 2.1.0-stable).  Even
though a Linux version isn't specifically listed, since there is a Linux
version of Netscape 1.1, my guess is that Netscape 2.0 will be available
for that platform as well.

---Jake Hamby
  jehamby@lightside.com