Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2016 23:10:46 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewalls

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 14:55:34 -0700 (MST), Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>
> > Well, the setup and loading of Postgresql9.6 seems to have completed
> > successfully.  Now, before this can go live I need to set up the
> > firewall.  I am used to IPTables on CentOS but have no experience with
> > IPFilter or PF.
> >
> > First, which firewall, of the three I read are available (IPFW,
> > IPFilter and PF is the recommended choice?
>
> Either PF or IPFW, depending on who you ask.

Or depending on _how_ you ask: For simple and "static" concepts,
IPFW is the typical suggestion, while more advanced and extended
firewalls setups lead to PF as a recommendation. But of course
it's not that one of the firewalls cannot be used for the other
"contradicting" purpose... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany