Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:18:16 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org>
To:        Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.1.0+mga+dri+FreeBSD-4.3-stable == hang

The reason they must be preloaded is that the kernel has already attached a
pcib0 device to the agp0 device if it(agp.ko) is not preloaded. Therefore,
you will not be able to get an agp device without it. The reason for preloading
the mga/drm drivers is unknown to me, but I assume that it might be possible
that they could be grabbed by another device during boot as well.