Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:12:15 -0700
From:      Michael Bryan <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FreeBSD-SA-00:41.elf?

"Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

> I should say we would do well to stop "supporting" 3.X anymore and let
> people know (a bit louder perhaps?) 3.5 is the end of the line for 3.X and
> the proper solution is an upgrade to _4.X_.  It's simply not very
> interesting or useful to be supporting something that should be phased out
> instead of "sorta upgraded" to the latest small increment of a quietly
> dying line.

I really have to disagree with this.  4.0-RELEASE came out in March of this
year, just a little over six months ago, and 4.1-RELEASE came out in July,
just over two months ago.  Are you really willing to say "sorry, you're not
supported" to production environments that brought up FreeBSD 3.x in the
first quarter of this year, or especially those that tend to be wary of ".0"
releases, and that might have installed a 3.5 base just three months ago?

I can understand saying feature additions are only in the new line of development,
and have no problem with that.  But the reality is that many production
environments have a relatively long cycle of testing and approving configurations,
especially for significant upgrades.  Also, many environments take a cautious
approach to version rollouts, and do not want to be in the first wave of people
using a new release, especially a ".0" release.  (At my current job, I am building
up a set of 4.1.1 DNS/Mail/Proxy servers that are going to replace a set of servers
that are currently running a combination of 3.4 and 3.5.  The current schedule is
to go live with them in November as part of other changes going on here, although
if major security issues came up, I -might- be able to push that up.  But I'd have
an easier time justifying a patch on top of 3.5 for all the systems, until the
scheduled cutover date.)

At the very least, security fixes should be available for version N.x for a
year or more after M.x comes out (M=N+1).  If possible, even longer.  Yes, I know
that's a resource commitment, and as code diverges, it gets harder and harder to
apply even just the security subset of changes back to older verions.  I also know
that with "Internet Time", and the frequent releases of FreeBSD, that means an ever
increasing number of versions to support for security fixes.  But if you cut that
support time too short, a lot of commercial interests will be alienated, and will
very likely say "Hmmm, they won't provide a security patch for the version we
just rolled out five months ago, and instead we have to fully upgrade everybody?
Maybe we want to go with some other solution instead."

And before you or anybody asks, although I wish I could do the the effort myself
to help out the FreeBSD project, including things like security support for older
versions, I personally do not have the time to be involved in that level of work.
So yeah, that means I'm asking y'all to do things that I cannot directly help
you with, other than the usual "buy the CDs" and "promote FreeBSD to others", and
I know that means I don't really get -that- much say.  :-)  I know there is only
so much that the FreeBSD team can do, but I do want to push for strong
consideration of long-life support of old releases for security-related issues.