Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:54:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        leonard@pacbell.net (Leonard Chung)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS broke again -- what has to be rebuilt to stop this?

> Sorry if this sounds really dumb, but I've been wondering, what's the
> difference between a crash dump and a core dump?

A crash dump has:

	system image (kmem), including all processes

It is a dump of the OS virtual address space.

A core dump has:

	core image of single process

It is a dump of a process virtual address space.

A crashdump occurs when the machine panics and must be rebooted.

A coredump occurs when a process gets a segmentation violation, a bus
error, an unhandled floating exception, an illegal instruction, or
another error which causes the process to be unable to continue running.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.