Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:43:27 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb.1proposed solutions. No dice.

Brian and everybody,

Sorry I missed this when I was on vacation:

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95q.970310160230.11639r-100000@sag.space.lockheed.com>,
Brian N. Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com> wrote:

> > [GDB falls over with:]
>
> >make: don't know how to make gdb.1. Stop

[...]
> The people with the whole CVS tree seem to be able to compile this
> willy-nilly.
>
> Those of us that just get a src tree (/usr/src) and 'make world' are
> missing the following files:
>
> 	gdb.1
> 	gdbinst.texinfo

You are right -- this problem is real.  (BTW, it's "gdbint.texinfo".)
The RCS files are invalid, and that is causing CVSup to omit them
from RELENG_2_2 in checkout mode.  In each case, the tag in the
RCS file points to revision 1.2.0.2.  This signifies the latest
revision on the 1.2.2 branch, or revision 1.2 if there is no such
branch.  (The 0 is a special CVS thing.)  These files don't have
a 1.2 revision.  I'm 99% sure that the 1.2 revisions used to exist
but were removed by Peter's recent $FreeBSD$ manipulations.  The
tags weren't updated correspondingly, and that is the cause of the
problem.

I'm reluctant to label it a CVSup bug, since the RCS files themselves
are indisputably bogus.  A "cvs checkout" does the right thing, true,
but I'm pretty sure that's by accident rather than by design.

I have asked Peter to take a look at the offending RCS files and fix
them.  If he turns up missing for 24 hours or so, I'll fix them myself.

Thanks for your patience.

John