Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 21:15:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gljohnsn@iamerica.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1 --> 3.0-current

> Greetings,
>
> I currently have FreeBSD 2.2.1 installed. I am getting ready to add a second
> processor to my system and therefore need to use FreeBSD-current. What is the

To go to freebsd-current, I really don't recommend doing it via make
world.  It's possible, of course, but there are enough "gotchas" that
it's really more recommended that you start with one of the 3.0
snapshots at ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD instaed.

If you're dead-set on doing it the source way, just watch out for the
8 -> 16 character username limit (recompile anything that might write
utmp entries, like xterm or sshd) and be prepared to possibly bootstrap
parts of the build process by hand.  Finally, don't forget to migrate
the files from /usr/src/etc!

All in all, backing up your user files and installing the snapshot
sounds a lot easier to me. :-) [though you'll still need to rebuild
your sshd/xterm/... thingies].
					Jordan