Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:13:23 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: grep -a (-stable)

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 06:42:56PM +0600, Max Khon wrote:
> it is not possible to make short equivalent for old grep -a option
> (as in grep 2.3 -a is used for other purposes).
> it is possible to make a long option (--skip-binary) but long options
> are quite unusable. GREP_OPTIONS cannot help much
> (I want an equiv. for old 'grep -aRl pattern .')
> any thoughts?

Talk to the GNU Grep maintainers.  I told them such an option was needed
in GNU Grep and they said people *liked* the behavior of printing out a
match in binary files.  I was especially saying with "-l" this behavior
us useless.  Email them at Paul Eggert <eggert@twinsun.com> and Alain
Magloire <alainm@rcsm.ece.mcgill.ca>.

See the archives of this list from 11/11/1999 - 11/12/1999 where this was
discussed.  Are you new to -CURRENT, or were you just not reading this
list as you are suppose to?

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)