Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:26:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NIS client with HPUX NIS server.

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, HP-UX's idea of a password is something like this :
> >
> >               vvvv--- expiration data.
> > AIUSFas/asdis,O/.M
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^---- password
>
>      I do have a patch that allows the expiration data to be ignored
> (not translated/used, but ignored) when logging on to FreeBSD.  However,
> the issues with my patch are:
>
> * It's only purpose is to make logins work.  It doesn't handle password
>   expiration, etc., as the password expiration data is IGNORED.
>
> * Other commands, like passwd, are still broken.  I thought about trying
>   to fix passwd, but I'm not sure how yypasswdd will react when it tries
>   to send a password without aging to the HP-UX NIS server.
>
> * I've only fixed login(1) (well, the unix PAM module, to be specific).
>
> * It might be better to fix getpwent.c and friends, instead of trying to
>   fix the various modules/commands (login, passwd, etc.).
>
> * My patch doesn't check for/handle MD5 passwords, which is one reason
>   why I haven't submitted it.

I'd be interested in giving this patch a go if you could send it, I can
probably manage not to use MD5 as well.

Also, after thinking about this for a while, (and I know this is possibly a
horrid idea!), but I was thinking of modifying the libcrypt so that it would
just ignore the expiration data at the end of the password field.

I just don't know what else this would break though!

	Steve