Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 07:37:27 -0800
From:      Keith Walker <kew@timesink.spk.wa.us>
To:        "Daniel Keller" <dkeller@psln.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on simple network

> Something in the near future I will be getting a new PC. For educational
> purposes I would like to setup a network with our 2 computers, for printer
> sharing and transferring file, ect. How should I set this up? Should I use
> 2 Ethernet cards? This also has to be compatible with Win95. Any advice is
> appreciated.

I have two machines, networked together; the "main machine" is a FreeBSD/Win95
machine, the other is strictly Win95. What did I do? I bought two cheapo
NE2000 compatible networking cards, put the printer on the Win95 machine, got
the network working under Win95, then brought up FreeBSD on the main machine
and installed SAMBA. SAMBA allows your BSD box to understand SMB networking,
like Win95 uses. With a little work in the configuration department, I can now
print in BSD and have the job printed out on the Win95 machine, while that
Win95 machine can use the disk space on my FreeBSD box.

On those rare occasions when I bring up Win95 on the main machine, everything
works like it should except for the shared space that's on the FreeBSD box.

It is nice to be able to telnet in from the Win95 box to my "X is locked up"
Unix box and be able to reset things ;-) as well as being able to share the
printer. BTW, the printer could have gone on either machine -- if I had the
printer on the Unix box, it would have just been a configuration problem to
have the Win95 print remotely to the Unix box (actually a little easier to do,
as well).

When you do it, and you have questions, feel free to write.

--

keith.